As my interest in posting photos of bicycles owned by people with low self esteem has waned, I have decided that it is time to find a more sustainable line of content. I will now be posting more of my sewn items here. I have sewn many things since the inception of this website, but very few (only one in fact) have been posted. This is because I’m a lazy bastard. It is also because I don’t really have a strong desire to put myself out there. To allow things that I have created to be scrutinized. I’m too insecure and vain at the same time. Well, I’m going to try and get over that and post a bit more, for the better of the site. Since clearly my contribution will better the site. Alrighty, on with the sewing content!
Here is a shirt that I made for one Muhtick (the curator of metapause). I used pattern 129 from the 05/2011 issue of Burdastyle. The link is to the Russian Burdastyle site, which has far more content and user activity than the American one. And if you check out the projects posted there for this pattern, you will also find amazing style!
I cut the smallest size (48), which fit him well in the neck and shoulders, although I tapered the pattern in to give it a slimmer fit by slashing the pattern pieces up the middle then overlapping the bottom hem line by a couple centimetres. I only sewed on the collar stand and not the collar, as this is a style that Mr. M likes, and I’m also happy with it as it means I don’t have to sew a collar! For the top button placket I made a separate pattern piece rather than just folding the fabric under. For the sleeve plackets I used this method posted by Pam at her blog. Other methods for sewing sleeve plackets seem kind of daunting and finicky, but I find this to be quite easy and straightforward.
I used a bottom weight stretch cotton, so it’s quite thick. The pattern is actually a tiny herringbone, and Muhtick preferred the textured reverse side of the fabric so the wrong side has become the right side. The contrasting stitching was also his vision. What style!