New jacket for Muhtick. This is the Colette Albion pattern. It’s a straight size medium, jacket length but with a lining. It sadly turned out too narrow across the upper back, but at least it looks good when he’s standing still. Just doesn’t work well when he’s driving or using his arms in any way…
This was one of those christmas presents that was like “I haven’t made it yet, but I will make this for you at some point.” It is now March, and the jacket is finally finished.
I was inspired by this lovely jacket that he had bought at some fancy boutique in Gastown, the reason to make another being that the jacket shrrrrunk after being cold water washed and hung to dry! So I wanted to make him a replacement. The original jacket was sort of a denimy chambray type material. I found this dark grey light weight Italian denim at Fabricana, and I actually really liked the reverse side, which is a paler grey. The fabric has been pre-washed and dried. No more shrinking!
The lining is actually cotton ticking meant for down comforters. It is really dense and smooth, and reminiscent of the original jacket’s lining. I added an inner welt pocket for Muhtick’s tablet. His old nexus 7 screen just cracked, which was a bummer, but good news is he just got the new nexus 7 to replace it.
He’s not much of a toggle man, so I put in a zipper instead. It was his idea to go with yellow as an accent colour. I think it looks pretty good with the grey.
Button snaps are to come for the top and bottom of the front placket and the hood overlap. I ordered these pretty cool snaps and a tool to install them from an etsy supplier based in Hong Kong, and the snaps got here after a month of waiting, but the tool that arrived was the wrong one! The seller is sending me the correct one, but it will probably be another month before I get it.
I added a bias flat piping sort of strip to the back yoke for an accent. I used the ‘right side’ of the material for dark accents throughout (piping, front facing, inner hood, front pocket).
Closeup of the zip. I got a pretty nice one at dressew with a leather pull. I sandwiched it in the facing rather than following the sewalong instructions that leave the zipper tape exposed. I think it looks pretty sharp.
Muhtick also isn’t an inseam pocket kinda guy, so I just added a front side welt pocket with a zipper for him to keep small items in (keys, bus pass, etc).
Another mod was to extend the hood front so that it overlaps at the centre, and to add a drawstring. The drawstring is a round elastic. Installed a couple grommets then added a toggle and a bead as a stopper. I think it looks pretty pro.
Also used ribbing for the cuff rather than a button tab at Muhtick’s request.
That is all.